News

General Chapter 2017

From May 2 until May 18, 2017, the General Chapter of our Congregation took place in Berlin. Its...

more

Provincial Chapter of the German Province 2016

From September 28 till October 02 the Provincial Chapter of the German Province took place in the...

more

Tanzania and Upcoming Provincial Chapters

On August 28, 2016, 4 Sisters made their First Profession and 3 postulants began their...

more

New branch in Tanzania

On January 4, 2016 our Sisters in Kongwa, Tanzania, opened a new subsidiary whereby they now have 7...

more

Entries into the Congregation and Creeds

Poland On August 14th, 2015, two young women have begun their noviciate. One day later one nun...

more

Contact Generalate

Casa Generalizia

Suore di Maria Immacolata
Via Trionfale, 6470
00135 Roma
Italia / Italy

eMail to Generalate

The History of the Congregation




The history of the Congregation of Mary Immaculate Sisters started in the 19th century. On behalf of the prince-bishop of Wrozlaw, our founder, Reverend Johannes Schneider, founded an association which was supposed to look after socially endangered housemaids. The background: In times of social changes many young girls left their rural homes and sought employment in the cities. In the urban surroundings the number of young girls grew. They were exploited and often saw themselves forced into prostitution to be able to survive. The initiative of Reverend Johannes Schneider offered young girls in critical times of orientation help and shelter.


On the 8th of December 1854 the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was announced – at the same time Johannes Schneider dedicated his association to Mother Mary and called it “Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary”. This foundation developed into The Congregation of Mary Immaculate Sisters. In 1891 the bishop of Wrozlaw approved of the constitution of the Congregation. In 1897 Pope Leo XIII finally approved as well of the existing Congregation by giving it the pontifical rites called Decretum Laudis. The final legalization was done in 1932 by Pope Pius XI.


During the past 150 years of our existence, we enlarged the areas of activities and took over various social tasks. We devote ourselves to the weak and those who are excluded from society. We particularly advocate for the protection of women in need and critical situations and support women’s houses. The education of young girls is of great importance for us as well, just as well as the care of students in our boarding houses. Besides caring for sick people and elderly people, we are involved in projects caring for people with special needs. We take over duties in kindergartens and children’s homes and educate young people in nursing practice. The general involvement in social projects, like preparing food for people in need and the support of immigrants, takes over a great part of our work. In every case the pastoral care, for example in connection with religious education etc., is most significant.

Concerning the history of the Mary Immaculate Sisters, there are two books written by Johannes Mertens:
- Geschichte der Kongregation der Marienschwestern von der Unbefleckten Empfängnis 1945 - 1999 (History in two books)
- Chronological board from the chronicle
top print

© Casa Generalizia, Suore di Maria Immacolata, Roma